Product Liability Experience Information
I have directly participated in more than 300 litigation cases providing overall legal and technical case management from notice through trial if necessary, including working with trial counsel, development of case and trial strategy, dispute resolution, and in-depth evaluations of multiple high-dollar lawsuits and claims. I have extensive experience in analyzing and assessing litigation risks. I have direct experience in all areas of discovery and motion practice as well as trial and settlement procedures. I understand the importance of accurate and consistent discovery and I have overseen and prepared hundreds of sets of responses to requests for productions, interrogatories, and requests for admissions. I have deposition, hearing and trial experience in state and federal jurisdictions throughout the United States. I have extensive experience in providing litigation and counseling support to national clients. I have extensive experience in analyzing and assessing claims and then working with product development activities and leading cross-functional teams to implement the necessary design changes to reduce overall exposure. I have direct experience in summary judgment proceedings, evidentiary hearings, motions in limine, as well as the related opposition and reply briefs. I have prepared numerous expert witness reports, and have served as the expert witness and/or corporate representative in depositions, hearings, and trials in state and federal jurisdictions throughout the United States for product liability cases. I have served prepared and prepped other witnesses prior to their depositions and trial testimonies, including all potential cross-examination questions.
Additionally, through these experiences, I have developed strong working knowledge of the following areas, among others:
- Product Liability Law, Automotive Defense, Indemnification
- Injury Thresholds as Related to Statutory Bars
- Medical devices, wheelchairs, and handicap assistance devices
- Regulatory Requirements, including all FMVSS Interpretation/Compliance
- Compliance testing, Regulatory Standards, FMVSS/ECE/SAE Safety Standards. Due-Care, Product Prove-out, Regulatory Interpretation/Compliance.
- Automotive and Truck (including Tractor-Trailer) systems, commercial vehicle, recreational vehicle, construction and excavation equipment, diagnostics and evaluation of vehicle and operator performance.
- Sensing systems, including all crash recorders (Direct design experience in these modules for over 27 years)
- Design Validation Plans and Reports, Failure Modes and Effects Analyses, product prove-out, design verification, reliability and durability analyses.
- Electrical, electronic, electro-mechanical camera/vision,weight/occupant sensing components and systems. Software methods and processes. Manufactuing Quality Control and Assurance.
- Analysis of component defects including seats, seatbelts, curtains, airbags, roof crush, structure, doors, and all modes of sensors
- Occupant kinematics and injury causation. FARS and NASS daabases. Statistical analysis.
- Accident reconstruction and analysis of crash pulse information
- Electrical systems and architecture,diagnostics,fault codes.
- Fire cause and origin. (chemical/electrical) Fuel Systems. Batteries.
- Due-Care testing, image and vision systems, Forward Collision Warning systems, Lane Departure Warning Systems, collision warning and avoidance systems, blind spot detection, pedestrian detection.
- Diagnostic system and fault code analyses. Audio and Visual warnings, fail safes, labels.
- Insurance Law, No Fault Insurance Law, Subrogation
- Automotive OEMs, Customers, Suppliers, Manufacturing, Operations in domestic, European and Asian environments.
- Depositions, Expert Testimony, Trial Testimony, and Witness Preparation
- Field Analysis of Product Liability Issues and the Implementation of Design Changes to Reduce Exposure
- Development of Trial Strategies, Trial and Motion Practice, Dispute Resolution, Negotiation, and Settlement
- All Aspects of Discovery and Disclosure Requirements, e-Discovery, Establishment of Discovery Policy and Strategy
- Document Production and Accurate/Consistent Response Preparation
- Pre-emption arguments, express, implied, or fact-specific analyses
- I have done cases involving all aspects of electrical, chemical, software methods/processes, computers, microprocessors, and automotive components and systems. Safety systems, accident avoidance, telematics/telecommunications, mobile cellular information data transmission (transmitters/receivers), traffic/weather, communication protocols, radio optical satellite wireless mediums, GPS, navigation, monitoring/surveillance/security/tracking systems, camera/vision/optical systems, fleet management systems, Bluetooth, smartphones, truck, recreational, and commercial vehicle systems, construction/excavation, electrical/electronic, diagnostics, etc.
- Depositions, Expert Testimony, Trial Testimony. Please see Judical Appearances and Testimony History for detailed information.